Friday, October 28, 2011

Fashion Observations

Hello there.  I think that I mentioned that I'm pretty into fashion.  There was a time that it was a huuuge part of my life.  I'll give you a little background as a way to establish a little credibility before I go on to give some opinions.  I managed and bought for a childrens/maternity boutique for a few years before working at a great high end boutique for about a year and then owning a great high end boutique for a couple of years.  During this time I made numerous trips to New York, LA and Las Vegas to buy for upcoming seasons and generally get a feel for what was coming up in fashion.  I LOVE fashion magazines.  At one point I was subscribing to TWENTY SIX of them.  Now I just get Lucky and Elle, but that is because I'm poor, not because I don't want to get more of them. 

Ok, on to my opinions:

First, please don't wear gouchos.  Do y'all know what those are?  They are those wide leg short pants that were all the rage in like, 2003.  Well last night at the gym I saw a beautiful girl come in wearing some dressy version of these with high heel boots.  WHY are you still wearing those, pretty girl?  They cut your legs off at the most unflattering spot and as a dress pant, they are unacceptable.  I am not even sure I approve of wearing comfy versions of these around the house.  Just toss them and get some real pants. 

Second, please stop wearing Ugg (and Ugg lookalikes) as "going out" boots. I'm not one of those people who disapproves of Uggs altogether.  I have a pair.  Actually mine are Emu's because I think they're nicer, but I digress.  I think these super comfy and super warm boots have their place.  When I first moved up north, I was totally anti, but the colder it got the more I warmed up to the idea of cozy sheepskin around my freezing feet.  I like these with jeans - bootcut actually - loosely cuffed and some type of realllly casual top.  For example, a flannel plaid shirt or a fleece.  This would be a great outfit for grocery shopping or running errands in COLD weather.  I can even get behind wearing these with the outfit above to a casual bar for trivia or a football game.  I cannot understand why I'm seeing girls wearing these with skinny jeans and a cute top at the bar on a Saturday night when it is SIXTY FIVE degrees outside.  Are you not hot?  Are you not embarrassed to have marshmallow feet at the bar?  Really?  The bottom line is this: these boots are made for comfort and not for sex.  If you wear these while you're trying to get laid, you're shooting yourself in the puffy unattractive footwear.  Ok, that is all about those.

Third is my opinion on leggings.  Ladies, you are not helping your figure by wearing leggings and some oversized top.  I get that we alllllll have fat days and want to be comfy.  Again, this is acceptable for errands and whatnot.  This is not acceptable for going out.  What are you doing??  These leggings and giant tops make you look big.  Wear a more fitted top (but one that is the correct size, please) and some nice jeans and boots.  You will be comfortable and look nice at the same time.  Also, leggings as pants are not ok.  Please don't wear a waist length top with leggings.  I really hate hate hate to use this expression...but I do not want to see a camel-toe ever.  Like, ever.  This effect is almost unavoidable with the legging and short top combo.  An acceptable combo is a fitted tunic to just below "your britney" (you know what I'm saying, right??) and maybe some tall boots.  NEVER WEAR PUMPS WITH LEGGINGS.  I cannot overstate this enough.  That look had it's sad day a few years ago, but it is over.  Please wear full tights if you're wearing dressy footwear. 

One last observation, and this really is just an observation.  Girls up north don't seem to get as dressed up or work on their "look" as much as southern girls.  I don't necessarily dislike this, it is just interesting to me.  I'm interested to know if you all have any feedback on this. 

Alright, I think I've laid enough opinions on you today.  I hope y'all have a gooooood HALLOWEEN weekend!  I'll tell y'all about mine on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment